If you own or manage a business you likely know of the many security risks that are inherent in running a workplace. From employee security to intellectual property theft, business owners and managers have a lot to think about when it comes to keeping the office safe.
Luckily there are many things owners and managers can do to secure their offices and sensitive information. Many of the best ways to protect employee and business information surround safe computer use and account maintenance, however there are many other things you can do in the office to keep your risks down;
- If you have a server room, lock it. Server rooms are the heart of information for offices and, in some cases, even the entire business. Make sure that only people who receive proper security clearance can access server rooms. If you really want to tighten down, locate your server room away from external walls to complicate break-ins.
- In order to give staff security clearance, you should think about implementing an employee screening procedure. Checking for things such as criminal background and references is pretty commonplace in many fields of work.
- Train employees to be able to practice proper workplace safety and other procedures designed to promote and maintain information security. Password creation and management, document and information management policies and organization requirements can all help improve personal and information security in the office.
- Ensure that computers are equipped with up-to-date anti-virus and anti-malware software.
- Implement a proper backup solution for your office computers and servers. This a big one that every office should be looking into to ensure seamless operation in the event of a data breach, or even a common computer network crash.
- Pay attention to the printers. Modern printers commonly store information into on-board memory when documents are sent to printers for printing, or when documents are scanned.
- Utilize a locked collection bin for documents that are no longer needed, or for extra copies of documents. Ensuring that documents containing potentially sensitive information are not accessible is vital to protecting any information they may hold.
Security Shredding’s secure document shredding services can help your business and ensure its information security obligations are met. With both scheduled and pickup services available, we can provide you with the most secure shredding solutions available. Contact our expert team today to learn more.